There’s always that one book that leaves a mark on a reader, shaping literary tastes and sparking a newfound passion for storytelling. For me, that transformative book was “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins. This novel changed everything for me as a reader.

The Book: “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins

How I Came to Read It:

I first read this book at age 9 (Grade 4!). I remember my mom passing it down to me. She had read it, my older sister read it, and when it finally got to me, I was I was buzzing. The pages were already dog-eared on the important parts, and I narrowly avoided spoilers over dinner conversations. I couldn’t wait to begin – I sat down and read the whole thing over two or three days, I think. I had already been dabbling in young adult fiction at this age, but this book just felt different. If I remember correctly, I was trying to finish the book as soon as possible so that the three of us could go watch the first movie at the theatre. This is a tradition that I’ve carried on with my mom over the years, as more and more book-adaptations have been released as films. Though not based on a book, the most recent movie we saw together was Barbie (2023) this past summer. This is a special, empowering memory to me, of three young women bonding over stories of other strong women.

Why I Enjoyed It:

From the moment I delved into the pages of “The Hunger Games,” I was transported to a world both familiar and frighteningly different. Suzanne Collins crafted a gripping narrative set in a dystopian society where survival is a ruthless game and rebellion lurks beneath the surface.

What captivated me most was the depth of the characters, particularly the fierce and resilient protagonist, Katniss Everdeen. Her journey from reluctant tribute to symbol of hope resonated with me even as a young child. I found myself rooting for her as she navigated the deadly arena with courage and resourcefulness.

Moreover, “The Hunger Games” sparked contemplation about societal issues such as inequality, power dynamics, and the consequences of unchecked authority. Suzanne Collins wove these themes seamlessly into the narrative, prompting me to reflect on the world around me in a new light.

But, what I cherished most about “The Hunger Games” was its ability to keep me on the edge of my seat with every twist and turn. The fast-paced plot kept me eagerly turning pages late into the night under a flashlight, unable to put the book down until I reached the conclusion.

“The Hunger Games” showed me the power of literature to ignite imagination, provoke thought, and evoke emotion in ways I never thought possible. The book holds a special place in my heart as the book that changed everything for me as a reader.