How do you feel about reading? Tell me about it.

I used to be a “gifted reader”. I started reading chapter books in Kindergarten with the Junie B. Jones series. Throughout Elementary school, I LOVED reading. I was known for it – and my teachers constantly praised me for being a smart kid and a “strong” reader. Around the age of 10 or 11, this manifested into burnout. I stopped reading for enjoyment altogether and even found it hard to get through my required readings in Middle and High School. Sadly, I never picked up this hobby again and I still often feel overwhelmed by a big chunk of text. One day, I hope to re-spark my love of reading and enjoy it like I did as a kid, but right now I find that I prioritize textbooks and required readings for school, and can never find the time or interest to pick up a book for myself.

What types of books do you like to read?

I am interested in often gruesome, sometimes true, crime or supernatural stories. Spooky stuff! I also like reading poetry, especially as an outlet for expression.

List some hobbies and things you like to do outside of school.

One of my most recent hobbies I’ve picked up is music curation and making playlists. I have always been passionate about music and I enjoy listening to a variety of music. My favourite part about creating playlists is sorting through my library and picking songs to create a specific vibe. Lyrics are very important to me too (literacy connection?). This became a hobby for me once one of my playlists gained over 5,000 saves on Spotify! It was cool to see so many people take an interest in something I had created just for myself.

Who are your favourite authors?

I don’t have a favourite author, but some recent books, stories, and excerpts that I have enjoyed were written by Haruki Murakami, Sylvia Plath, and Ursula K. Le Guin. Lyrically, my favourite writer is definitely Phoebe Bridgers. “Funeral” and “I Know The End” are just amazing.

Tell me a bit about the last book you read that you really enjoyed.

To be honest, the last time I have enjoyed reading a book in it’s entirety was Elementary school. I can recall becoming obsessed with The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins around grade 4. I was so into it, I had memorized lines from the books and movies and could recite them from memory. With that being said, I recently re-watched the movies as an adult in preparation for the new movie! I can say that I had definitely missed a lot of the fine details and really, the point of the stories. The most recent times that I have read novels were to meet course requirements in university, and I can’t say that I overly enjoyed it.

Tell me a bit about what you have been doing since last semester during your winter break. How have you been spending your time?

Over the break, I went home for almost 3 weeks to spend time with my family over the holidays. I enjoyed eating my parents’ cooking, lazing around, watching movies, and I also crocheted a blanket. Once I got back to Cranbrook, I actually moved into a new rental suite, where I am living with my partner and my best friend.

What subjects or topics do you like learning about?

I am interested in learning about social justice, and other topics in the realm of social studies. I recently did an inquiry project for another course where I got to research the Salem Witch Trials, which I found really interesting. I also like expanding my knowledge on practical skills that I enjoy like painting and crochet.

If you could read a book about one thing, what would that be?

Something emotionally moving.